WordPress is currently one of the most popular website building platforms. That is why many businesses are asking “Is WordPress secure? Currently, internet security is a top priority for businesses of all sizes. This is understandable given the threats that exist today. According to Security Magazine, hackers attack computers with internet access every 39 seconds on average. It is therefore essential for modern websites to not only generate sales and look aesthetically pleasing, but to also shield sensitive information and prevent security breaches.
At Compete Now, we build secure custom websites focused on communicating your message and reaching your goals. If you are interested in learning more about our web design process, click here or call 617-539-6528 to contact us.
Now, we’ll discuss whether or not WordPress is secure.
Is WordPress Secure
Out of all of the website building platforms available, WordPress sites are one of the most secure options. As a company, WordPress is made up of skilled developers who constantly create new methods to keep WordPress safe. As a company, WordPress invests significantly in their security.
No matter what, everything that is published on an online network has the potential to be stolen or exposed. Although there are many reasons why WordPress sites get hacked, a team of experienced web developers will know how to build your website in such a way that it is as secure as possible.
Choose Your Hosting Company Wisely
Choosing a secure website host impacts the overall security of your website.
Before we explain how to choose a secure host, we will give some background on the purpose of website hosting. Website hosting is a service that gives you the ability to publish your website on the internet. Hosting is what allows anyone online to see your site, thus, all websites have to have a hosting plan to be online.
One of the most important elements of a website host is the security that it provides. Website hosts can back up your website regularly, assuring you that your site can be quickly restored in the event of an issue. Many providers also set up advanced firewalls to protect your website against hackers. It is also common for providers to provide SSLs that automatically renews, allowing you to securely collect payments and information from site visitors, along with spam filters and domain name privacy.
At Compete Now, we offer managed WordPress hosting plans that vary depending on your website’s needs and functionality. We focus on website security and performance, while providing hosting support to ensure that your website is running safely and efficiently to free up your time and give you peace of mind.
Some popular hosting services include the following:
- SiteGround SiteGround offers an SSL, HTTPS, and Cloudflare CDN. Some other benefits include that it backs up your site daily and allows for free website transfers.
- Bluehost Bluehost offers free installation of your domain, SSL and one-click WordPress. It is known to be easy to use and to have excellent customer support when questions or issues arise.
- WP Engine WP Engine offers a variety of resources and customer support that is specialized for WordPress. In addition, they provide automatic updates and maintenance, which can save you time and keep your website safer.
How Developers Can Help Make Your WordPress Site Secure
There are many steps that skilled website developers can take to ensure that your site is safe. These preventative measures include the following:
Choose Secure Plugins
WordPress offers thousands of free plugins. An experienced developer will only choose plugins that have plenty of users and positive reviews and that are known to be safe.
When it comes to choosing secure plugins, here are some tips:
- Check out the website that the plugin is coming from. Does it seem trustworthy? Is it professionally designed? Is the company name in the footer and is it easy to find the terms and conditions?
- Google the domain name in quotations (“sample.com”) to see if any reports regarding malicious activity surface.
- Pay attention to how recently the plugin has been updated (the more recent, the better).
- Beware if the plugin has less than 1,000 installations, as this might signal that it’s either not trustworthy or not being updated frequently
- Make sure that it is compatible with the latest version of WordPress
Install a Security Plugin
A security plugin will regularly check your site for any potential vulnerabilities or security threats. Most are simple to install and many are free.
Here are some of the most popular WordPress security plugins:
- Sucuri Security: Sucuri offers free and premium versions and both audit for security, monitor files, and scan for malware. The premium version of Sucuri also offers Google Site Browsing and McAfee Site Advisor. If there are any red flags, Sucuri emails you right away.
- WordFence: This free plugin continuously checks for malware and spam. It also blocks bots and requires all users to use two-factor authentication. In addition Wordfence compares your website’s files with those in the WordPress.org repository to check their integrity and to alert you of any changes.
- VaultPress: VaultPress is a free plugin with premium options. Its top features include backing up posts, media, files, and comments in real time to protect your site against hackers, viruses, or outages. In addition, VaultPress scans for malware and notifies users immediately of suspicious activity.
Install an SSL Certificate
SSL stands for “Single Sockets Layer.” It encrypts information before it is moved between your browser and server and it is obligatory for sites that process sensitive information to have one.
How You Can Help Make Your WordPress Site Secure
After a team of skilled web designers creates your website, there are steps that you can take to keep your site safe. Check out our guide on making your site the best website possible for a list of what you can do to make your site more effective. Here are some security related tips for you to keep in mind:
Use a Strong Password and Store it Wisely
Use a strong, unique password for your website. We recommend using a password management tool such as LastPass to generate secure passwords and store them safely.
Limit Login Attempts
Change your login settings to limit login attempts. This can help block hackers from logging in.
Update plugins when necessary, or hire a company to provide website maintenance to check your site for vulnerabilities regularly.
Why Does My WordPress Site Say “Not Secure”
If your website is saying “not secure,” it is most likely because you do not have an SSL installed on your site. Though SSLs were originally designed for e-commerce sites with transactions taking place, they are now expected to be on all websites. An SSL will make your site stronger and assure visitors that they are visiting a safe place. Google even favors secure sites over non-secure sites when deciding on ranking. If your site does not have an SSL, do not hesitate to contact a web developer to install one.
Contact Us for Your Website Design and Security Needs
At Compete Now, we design websites with security top of mind and we provide regular maintenance services to existing sites, during which we ensure that sites are free of vulnerabilities. If you would like to build a new site or have a company that you trust host your website, click here or call 617-539-6528 to get in touch.